Thursday, October 27, 2011

What happened to New York Running?


Well your observations are correct. The New York Runner has basically fallen off the face of the earth….and directly into her new job! I mentioned after my Yankee 5k post that I had happily accepted a new job; I was hoping to update everyone before this on the job itself and running life in general. Sadly I haven't even been able to report about my first triathlon (which trust me was quite interesting and entertaining for any one that was not me). So where have I been since August? Oh that would be working at the new job 24/7. Here is some quick info on how the job came to be.  

Back in May I informed my boss that July 1st I would be moving to New York with the hope of working as an admissions counselor at a college. After that I searched and searched for a job. May and June came and went and I started to panic. I had worked and networked with so many great people in search of a job, but nothing was happening. Nevertheless, I continued with my moving plans and packed up and headed out to New York (as you all know). July dragged on and my money dwindled down. I started to get discouraged about the prospect of any job. The last weekend in July I went to a wedding with my boyfriend, who was one of the groomsmen. We, along with a few of his friends, all drove to upstate New York for the weekend wedding. A friend of ours was also a groomsman and had a date coming for the wedding the next morning. The guys had to be at the wedding earlier for pictures and our friend asked if I could drive his date over to the wedding when I left later. I thought not a problem, I had never met this girl in my life but I consider myself a social person and typically am capable of getting along with just about anyone (the car ride was also only 5 minutes). We made the usual small talk in the car and got to the topic of jobs. She mentioned she just left a job in New York and had moved to Vermont. I asked what the job was she left, and was speechless when she said she had been an admissions counselor at a college. I quickly asked for all details, the main one’s being are they hiring and will they pay me?! After we got home from the wedding weekend I sent in my resume for the job. I received a call that night for an interview the next day, and by the end of the week I had managed to land myself a job as an admissions counselor at a college, aka the job I had been searching for since May. I’ve been told I am the luckiest person in the world, and to never give job advice to anyone because nobody is as lucky as I was to find a job in less than a month when out of work.   
So that is how the job came to be. The downside to the job is that I jumped right into travel season. I was excited to go at it with full force, and unfortunately that meant everything else in my life stopped. This included running, eating healthy, blogging, and etc. Travel season is coming to an end and I am ready to have my normal life back. Last night I had a realization that for an organized and usually balanced person, my life was completely unbalanced and disorganized which I hate! This then led to many tears and a complete freak out (thank you to my boyfriend for just sitting listening to me panic for over an hour). It is time to get back on track with my life, running wise and eating wise. I have learned without the balance of these things in my life, it leads me to panic, stress, and typically disaster.  So you can look forward to many new posts from me and updates on some things I have been doing in the past few months!   

No comments:

Post a Comment