Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Marathon Monday

Hello blog world! Ok, now before you all get on me about my disappearing act, let me explain. In my ever continuing love/hate relationship with running, at this current moment in my life I'm in the hate stage.  What is worse than going for a run while you hate running, oh that would be writing about how miserable your running has been. In less than 3 weeks I will have my first of six 1/2 marathons, not the best time to hate running.

So what have I been up to other than hating running you ask? Two weekends ago I was in Boston for Easter weekend and loved it! Always nice to go back. I also got a couple of days off work to relax and hang out with Paul during his school vacation week. This past weekend there was so much I wanted to do. For starters Paul and I went to the Rangers play off game Saturday night! 



Sunday I would given just about anything to be at Carolyn's baby shower in Boston! 


Sadly, I was at work. I know right?! To say I wasn't thrilled is probably one of the largest understatements ever. 

Yesterday, I would of also given just about anything to go hang out with some awesome people and enjoy the Boston Marathon. Sadly the excuse "but I'm from Boston, what do you mean I have to work on Patriots Day?" wasn't going to fly at work. 

So what does all of that have to do with my hate relationship of running? It's pretty simple actually. Work, as always, has been coming first. Times that I should be getting up early to run before work, or going to run after work, I'm not. Instead I'm in work early or staying late, or both. Saturday was going to be my big long run day that I tried to get myself pumped up for. I then kept thinking about all the things I wasn't able to do that weekend, and pretty much had a pity party for myself in the middle of my run. To say it was a bad run is another understatement. Paul had decided to run with me as well, so he had to sit and watch my break down. 

I decided yesterday morning I would try again to do the run and surprise, it sucked. It wasn't a huge shock to me at all. What happens when you don't run consistently? Oh that's right, you get slower and can't go as far. None of this would be an issue if I didn't have a race in less than 3 weeks. So yes you add all this crap that I am spewing up, and you get me in a giant hate mood towards running. It had been growing and growing the past couple weeks, and finally boiled over this weekend. Yesterday morning for about 10 minutes I had decided I was done with running.

Lucky for all of you that enjoy reading a blog about running, I turned my mood around. While a nice skinny vanilla late, an 85 and sunny degree day, and a pep talk from the boyfriend helps, something else pulled me out of my funk. MARATHON MONDAY! 

Yes I hated that I couldn't be in Boston for it. I think I updated my twitter every 3 seconds at work to see the updates. However, you can't help but love running when you watch the Boston Marathon. It is so inspiring to see everyone come out for the race, especially in 90 degree heat! It also reminded me of a moment while I was in DC. After I finished my half, I was waiting at the finish line for Paul to finish the full. I stood there and watched so many people finish, and to see their faces when it happened was AMAZING! Have you ever stood at the finish line of a marathon? I don't think anything is more inspiring. I literally had tears in my eyes watching this at one point. I know I'm dramatic, if you are just realizing this you clearly don't know me well. Watching all the Boston updates yesterday, and reliving that moment in DC, my overwhelming love for running came back. Now I'm also not crazy to think that just like any speed or distance will come back to me, but one step at a time! 

I have new plans for running for the next few months. While I'm training for all these races I need to be in the right mind set, which I think I am now.

 I hope you all got to enjoy Marathon Monday yesterday! Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment